Veronika fell in love with photography at school, when she discovered the art of developing black and white film – the rest is history. Being able to stop time and tell a story with an image, and be able to transfer this into a fantasy world.
1. When did you discover photography?
I discovered it at school. My first love was black and white images, and ever since then I have been addicted to photography.
2. Where do you get your inspiration?
From everywhere really: life, books, favourite artists, music.
3. What is your most memorable photo you have ever taken?
A photo of a girl having coffee for my school assignment, there was a look on her face that words can’t really describe – it felt like she was present, but not quite. And probably one of the media shots for WHORE, with Geraldine in the bath.
4. How did you come up with the name ‘Imagen’?
Imagen translates to ‘imagining images’, that’s what every photographer does really, imagination first then image.
5. Have you worked on other projects with ‘charlatan clinic’ before?
Yes, I helped photograph “Motherlock” and “Skintight”.
6. Who would you really like to photograph, name anyone?
This is a hard one… but it would be a dream to work Gwen Stefani, Kate Moss, Karl Lagerfield. I would love to travel through South America/Africa and take photos of the native people- the list is endless.
7. What is the most important lesson you have learnt about taking pictures of people?
It’s important to get to know them a little bit, so they feel comfortable in front of the camera and we are not complete strangers. I like to joke with people so they relax, or maybe tell them a story. It’s important to encourage and tell them that they doing a great job. As a photographer, you need to be able to direct people so that you can achieve your vision, and sometimes it can be hard to communicate this with words only, so it helps to show your ideas on paper or visual references.
8. Do you prefer digital or Polaroid?
Digital, but I would never say no to Polaroid.
9. What is your dream location to shoot?
PARIS of course.
10. What makes you smile?
Beautiful things, family, friends, travelling, sunshine, surfing, day-dreaming, music, art, yoga, dancing and margaritas. The list goes on!